As part of ART21’s array of programming designed to illuminate the creative process, the ART21 Magazine provides a space for insightful writing on contemporary art and artists. Here, you’ll find our bimonthly issues as well as news on ART21 films and programs. The ART21 Magazine, which was previously the ART21 Blog, is available exclusively online.
ART21 Magazine issues are published six times per year and devoted to a single theme. Led by an invited guest editor with a connection to the theme at hand, the articles in these issues are populated by our team of regular contributors, invited writers selected by the magazine’s editors, and submissions from readers.
HISTORY AND READERSHIP
- In 2013, the ART21 Blog underwent its third and most significant redesign and was renamed the ART21 Magazine. With this change, the site shifted from a guest blogging program to bimonthly thematic issues.
- ART21 Magazine readers are primarily based in the United States, but the publication also has significant audiences in the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Australia, and Germany.
- To date, a group of regular contributors and a rotating cast of guest writers have published over 3,800 blog posts and articles.
GUIDELINES FOR PITCHING
Writers interested in contributing to the ART21 Magazine must submit a formal pitch to one of our columns open to submissions, listed below. Email magazine [at] art21 [dot] org with a pitch of less than 300 words that is related to the theme of the current issue. We publish essays, interviews, fiction, poetry, illustrations, and slideshows. Due to the volume of emails, we can only respond to submissions that we are considering for publication.
Columns currently open for pitches include:
- Reader Reviews — This column gives readers a chance to share their thoughts on exhibitions, art books, and art world happenings.
- Inside the Artist’s Studio — Artists interested in sharing their practice and working environment are welcome to submit pitches to this column.
ART21’s online writing residency developed out of the ART21 Blog’s guest blogging program (2009-2013), which invited an artist, critic, curator, educator, or other arts professional to contribute content over two consecutive weeks. In the fall of 2014, the ART21 Magazine joined forces with the CUE Art Foundation to develop a joint fellowship for emerging writers. This collaborative program provides writers with the opportunity to develop new writing for publication in print and online.
The ART21/CUE Writer-in-Residence contributes two articles to each issue, responding to the theme, sharing interests and research, working through new ideas, and experimenting with writing as an art form. Selected writers work with an established art critic appointed by the International Association of Art Critics USA Mentoring Committee. See the program’s past writers-in-residence, and to learn more, visit CUE Art Foundation online.
Still curious about the ART21 Magazine ? Contact us.